Search This Blog

Saturday, November 3, 2012

DumBell Success Stories: Kim Bissell

Today's Success Story is one of our favorites! Please join us in congratulating the wonderful Kim Bissell! 

Kim first started Boot Camp 11 months ago at Halsey Terrace as part of the inaugural class. "I was on the cusp of beginning a change in my life. I had exercised faithfully for the previous 8 years, but I found myself plateauing. I was ready to challenge myself even more, so I decided to join DumBell and go for it!" 


Kim in 2000
In addition to Boot Camp, Kim does an extra 2 days of cardio per week. "When I started out, that included Zumba on my off days. But as my level of fitness increased, so did my desire to push myself personally. I even hired a sitter over the summer when my husband was deployed to continue my workouts. I now attend a Spinning class and run on my off days. Usually, I take weekends off." 

"For my nutrition, I follow Robb Wolf's 'The Paleo Solution' diet about 85%," explains Kim. "It eliminates processed foods, sugars and legumes, but I don't focus on what I can't have! My daily diet consists of lean proteins, fruits and vegetables, healthy fats from nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil, fish oil and grass-fed meat. On occasion, I have what I want, like a burrito or margarita, but I now make that the exception, not the norm. I also incorporate AdvoCare into my nutritional regime. In the past year, I have shed 25 pounds. I feel fantastic and know I am fueling my body with everything that goes in my mouth."

Kim adores her Halsey trainer, Alison Fournier. "She is so knowledgeable, that even in my 11th month, I doubt my body's capabilities sometimes. But I know she will push me as far as I can go, safely. I am mostly motivated my personal accomplishments, though. With eating well and working out, my body has become very strong. It's a daily choice to continue the progress. I also love all the women in every class I have taken! I see us as one strong unit. Newbies or Oldies, we are one, and that gives me strength to do my best. I have 60 minutes to give it my all, for me, and I aim to do that every Boot Camp day."

Alison returns the compliment, saying, "Kim is amazing! She has been in my class since I started at Halsey Terrace. I've watched her grow stronger physically and mentally, and lose weight while doing so. I love to push her to her limits in class--she never gives up! She always takes my challenge to the next level. She inspires me and the class with her knowledge of nutrition ( the Paleo diet) and desire to be/get stronger. Kim is always helping the other ladies with words of inspiration, and helping them push harder and move faster!" 

"My journey has been long," says Kim. "At 40 years old, I am the healthiest and happiest I have ever been. I too have daily lessons that God teaches me, struggles in life, but having my health at the forefront of my purpose better allows me to face those challenges. At my heaviest weight (pre-boot camp), I was 60 pounds heavier than I am now. I carry that woman in me every day. But, I choose now to move forward and continue to eat well, exercise and hopefully motivate others to do the same. I do that because I want every woman to feel the way I do and know it is possible.  I thank Christina, Alison, and all the DumBell Staff for this opportunity I have been given to be the best I can be." 
Kim and her husband at the Khaki Ball in September 2012! 

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing Kim!! Always an inspiration! Love you!
    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rockin' hot at 40!!!! You are so inspirng. It may be time for me to divorce my love language - sugar and carbs! Love you!!!! Debbie

    ReplyDelete