Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Wednesday's Winners: Amy Richards

Congratulations to today's featured Wednesday's Winner, Halsey recruit Amy Richards! 

Amy began Boot Camp at Halsey in September, and has lost a total of 9 pounds. "A little something I hadn't shared with anyone was that I had actually gained 2 more pounds between my initial weigh-in and my first Boot Camp class. So although I clocked in at losing 4.4 pounds last month, I knew personally I had lost 6 pounds and felt even better about my achievement!"

On her days off from Boot Camp, Amy enjoys biking on base to run her errands."During the week when my daughter is in pre-school, my 2-year-old rides on my bike with me. I find it gives me a fun way to exercise that I look forward to doing because it also gives me the opportunity to bond with my daughter. I usually average between 5.5-6 miles of constant cycling when we do our rides."

"I have completely modified what I eat," explains Amy. "When my husband would deploy, I would eat out at fast food restaurants with my daughters rather than take the time to make a dinner because it was 'easier.' It had gotten to the point that it was more habit versus actually liking the food--in fact I found it pretty gross, but it was a quick fix for me. I took a step back and realized that I had to eliminate all fast food from my diet. Now, my diet consists of eating a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast with a cup of tea. I usually have either a salad with grilled chicken and some type of vinaigrette dressing or cut vegetables for lunch, then a normal dinner of some meat, starch and veggies. I have limited the amount of pasta I make as well. I went from having some type of pasta meal 3-4 times a week to once a week, if that, now. I finally realized I could no longer eat like I did when I was younger--as much as I had convinced myself that I could, at my age the weight will just add up and be very difficult to take off."

Amy has always loved to bike, rollerblade, and swim, but she would never go to a gym. "But, I constantly signed up for memberships! It got to the point where I would joke about how I 'donated' to the gyms where I had a membership. Because of this, my husband wasn't supportive when I first brought up Boot Camp--he thought it would be a waste of money. Despite his objections, I still signed up for Halsey, unsure of what to expect. Alison made me stick with it! She nicknamed me Boston on day one, and it has stuck! She is a firm trainer who calls me out when she sees I'm using the wrong form or slacking--she never misses anything! That type of trainer is exactly what I needed because it keeps me motivated. The ladies in the class are also motivating. Everyone rallies to keep each other going; this is support I could never get at a gym!"  

Trainer Alison Fournier says, "Amy is always pushing herself to do her best in class. She absolutely rocked her first month!" 

"My final motivator was when my husband said I wouldn't stick with it," says Amy. "I understood where he was coming from based on my past behavior, but I wanted this time to be different.  So I stepped up to the class on my first day and said 'I'm going to do this and I want to get that Biggest Loser title my first month.' So here I am today, into my 2nd month of Boot Camp, I feel healthier, I look better, my weight is coming off and I feel like I am setting a good example for my girls."


Congratulations, Amy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment