Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Wednesday's Winners: JoAnne Styger

Please join me in congratulating JoAnne Styger, Radford's Sept-October Biggest Loser! 

Since starting Boot Camp in June, JoAnne has lost 14 pounds. She had previously taken class for a few months after her third child was born, and returned this year after her fourth child. "I had seen such amazing results previously and had so much fun, I was ready to return!" 

JoAnne also looked to Boot Camp as a way to fight the baby blues, and to deal with her husband's deployment. "I remember, when my son was about 2 weeks old, sitting on my couch in the middle of the day and bursting into tears. I had struggled with the baby blues in the past, and I had the thought, 'it will be pills, or I need to go running.' So, I chose running. I got on my treadmill that day, and every day after that. If I didn't get a run in, the next day was usually a 'bad' day. Boot Camp also helped me get through the rest of the deployment with my head held high." 

In addition to taking the Radford Boot Camp 2 days a week, JoAnne is training for the Honolulu Marathon. "I run for at least 1 hour, 3 days a week. I love to run and have no problem disciplining myself to do so; I need Boot Camp to get my muscles going. As for my diet, that is the most difficult aspect for me. When I first began, my husband was deployed and I had a goal to lose 10 pounds. Having that goal helped me to focus and stay on track with my diet. Now that I've lost my baby weight, and I'm training for the marathon, it is a bit more difficult to balance my diet because I need enough fuel to get me through all the hours of running, and I crave everything!"

"I love everything about Boot Camp," says JoAnne, "but I'll begin with the childcare, because without it I could not enjoy everything else. I have four children, and I homeschool, so I have very little opportunity during the day to work out. The childcare helpers are always so welcoming to my children and they have always enjoyed going to Boot Camp and making friends. I also love how challenging Boot Camp is. I am a very athletic person, and have been for about 5 years (with a couple pregnancies in there!), but I am continually challenged by the workouts. Currently I attend Michelle's class at Radford, and I really enjoy her enthusiasm and experience. On days when I feel like giving up (like today when it was SO hot), her encouragement is awesome. I also like how she gives us 'homework' and then asks us about it in the next class. She won't let us get away with anything on the days we don't see her. Lastly, I love the sense of community that Boot Camp provides. I have really enjoyed getting to know the trainers and other recruits!"

Radford trainer Michelle Ragain says, "I appreciate JoAnne coming every week and giving 100%! She never gives up, and always does the agility course 3 times! Her hard work in and out of class has really paid off. I know she will do great in her upcoming marathon!" 


Congratulations, Joanne! 


No comments:

Post a Comment