Search This Blog

Saturday, May 5, 2012

DumBell Success Stories: Angie Howard

Today's DumBell Success Story features Angie Howard, a Ford Island recruit. The enthusiasm in her story is so contagious. Thank you for sharing this with us, Angie! 

Angie originally started Boot Camp in May 2010 when the first Ford Island 7:15am MWF class was offered. "At that time, my health was in a downward spiral. I had become complacent and had no idea the damage I was doing to my body. When I first started the course, all I cared about was losing weight. As the months went on I realized that I needed to change my lifestyle completely," says Angie. 

In January of 2011 Angie had to quit Boot Camp due to a new job opportunity. "In my time off from Boot Camp," Angie says, "I completed my first 10K, The Great Aloha Run, and a 1/2 Marathon! I owed all that to the confidence I gained from Boot Camp and Christina!" After a few months, the Ford Island Evening course opened up. "Since I had a full-time job and my husband was deploying, I needed something to keep me accountable so I wouldn't have a pity part for myself every day. Even though I lost the weight I had gained during my time off, once my husband returned home from deployment, I again took time off from classes. I fell into the trap of homecoming happiness and got complacent. I let the needs of my husband, my puppies, and my job come before my own." 

Finally, Angie decided enough was enough and returned to the Ford Island Evening class in February 2012. She had been avoiding the scale because she knew she had gained weight. At her initial weigh-in, she discovered she had gained 19 pounds since she started in May of 2010. "I was embarrassed, mad, sad, and so many other emotions," remembers Angie. "I had no idea what to do. I went home that evening and cried for a long time. I couldn't believe that only a few months of unhealthy eating and little to no working out could do that much damage to my body. I decided it was time for an overall change again. I needed to put in ALL the work in order to get the results I wanted." 

And work she did. Not only was Angie working out at Boot Camp, she also regularly put in cardio during the week, and lost 5 pounds her first month back. "I thought I was going to be the Biggest Loser that month, but feel short by 1 pound. I didn't let that ruin my spirits though! I signed up for the next month and continued to lose the weight, despite being sick twice that month and missing 3 classes." 

"In my second month, I hit a plateau; I was stuck at the same weight for 2 weeks. I asked my trainer Laurie for some guidance and she told me to track my food and calories on the app called My Fitness Pal. What I found out was that I wasn't taking in enough calories and my body was in starvation mode," explains Angie. "I adjusted my food intake and within 2 days, 2 more pounds came off! I was so stoked because weigh-ins were that week. When I stepped on the scale this time I just had a feeling I was going to finally win the Biggest Loser! And sure enough, that evening at Boot Camp, Laurie announced that I had won, losing 7.4 pounds that month and 4% of my body weight." 

Angie credits Laurie for keeping her on track. "Laurie is an amazing trainer! She always knows what positive things to say to our class to keep us motivated. She is always available after class to answer our questions and helps us in whatever way possible to reach our goals." 

"Angie's commitment reminds me of Babe Ruth standing at the plate and pointing to where the ball should go," says trainer Laurie Weber. "She decided she was ready to change, she committed herself to the goal, POINTED herself in that direction and made it happen. She had NO excuses, even with a birthday celebration in the middle of the month and also after being sick and missing a few classes. She wrote it all down, kept it clean, and owned her results!' 

"Her determination was evident," Laurie continues. "She pushed herself hard during workouts and was always in the front of the running pack. She goes three times through the agility course and never stands still, even during water breaks. As I say in class, 'you either get good at accomplishments or you get good at making excuses.' Angie got good at her accomplishments! I am so proud of her!" 


Angie and Ford Island Evening instructor Laurie Weber!


"Since I started back at Boot Camp this year, I have lost 13 pounds and over 13 inches total," says Angie. "People notice at work and I am back to being my happy, confident self! I am only halfway to my goal, but I know that it is possible if I do the work and eat healthy and clean! The biggest thing I have learned from class is that no matter what is going on in your life, you have to set some time out to take care of yourself! Boot Camp is like a good friend; it is always there when you need it to build your confidence back up and get you back to the person you know you are!" 



No comments:

Post a Comment