Search This Blog

Monday, July 2, 2012

Project Green Thumb: Being Patient!

I am thrilled to see that so many of you have started your own backyard gardens! I think that growing your own produce is truly the healthiest way to obtain fresh produce. Today I wanted to offer you a few tips on being patient as you tend to your first "crop" of fruits and veggies. 

  1. Don't give up! The first time your plants bear fruit it will be very small. Don't be discouraged! This is normal. They will get bigger and bigger each time you harvest them. 
  2. Pay attention to the weather. Believe it or not, even in Hawaii, we do have seasons. There will be times when it's extra rainy here. If that's the case, check to see if your plants need extra fertilizer. And if it's been unusually dry, make sure to water more often. 
  3. Be patient. It's very tempting to pick your fruit or veggies right when you start to see them develop. Give them time to ripen on the vine. 
  4. Talk to them. Don't forget to whisper "grow" to your plants! Seriously, I do this, and I'm convinced it is why my plants flourish. Ha! 
I also want to suggest that you plant a pineapple with your family. They take about two years to bear fruit, so it is definitely something you want to start almost as soon as you move to the island. It's something very special you and your family can do to celebrate living in Hawaii! 



1 comment:

  1. Great tips!;) I love my fresh produce in my own back yard but it can be a challenge to get everything growing like you want it to!

    ReplyDelete