Search This Blog

Monday, June 4, 2012

Three years and a million thank yous.


Dearest DumBell Fitness Family,

This week we celebrate the third anniversary of DumBell Fitness. I must admit, I’m feeling a bit nostalgic as I think about all that has happened in the past three years. When I first arrived to Hawaii I told myself that I would take a break from personal training and just enjoy the island life for a few months while my husband was on deployment.  However, all that changed just three months later during one moment at the base gym. I watched a military spouse turned away from the childcare room because it was too full. I remember the discouragement in her face: she had obviously woken up early to get her baby and her small toddler dressed, fed, and out the door, only to be turned away because the room was at capacity.  I knew that if it had been me, turned away at such a critical time, I would have used the negative experience as an excuse to never return.

This scene sparked an idea: I could teach a little fitness boot camp in my neighborhood that guarantee childcare for all those participating.  So, in June of 2009, with the support of Forest City and our first childcare worker, Kiara Lewis, I led the first boot camp-style workout on the beautiful lawns of Ford Island.  I planned to only teach the class during the summer while all the school-aged kids were out on break. However, once the end of July rolled around, the original 15-25 participants pleaded for me to keep the program on going. Again, with the permission and support of Forest City, we rented out the Ford Island Community Center for the early mornings of Monday, Wednesday, and Friday indefinitely. Even with these arrangements made, I still thought that once everyone had taken the course a few times I would end the class and go back to working at the gym as a personal trainer and group instructor. 

To my astonishment, not only did the participants keep coming back month after month, but they also spread the word in a huge way. A waiting list started to grow, and we had to add more childcare attendants along with another class: the Tuesday/Thursday course. Every time the waiting list grew to double the size of the actual class I added another group, until eventually we expanded to additional locations: our first was at McGrew Point, quickly followed by Halsey Terrace, Hickam AFB, and Pearl City Peninsula. New locations, set to open this summer, are also on the horizon!

So now here I sit, three years later, and it’s time to hand out some thank yous. First, I’d like to thank our wonderful childcare attendants, without whom NONE of this would be possible. Your dedication and loyalty to our program and the children are what keep our recruits coming back. I thank you for going above and beyond for our kiddos: the Easter Eggs hunts, the Mother’s Day cards, those little touches are so special and are so indicative of the type of caring people you are. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Secondly, I’d like to thank our fabulous trainers: Cheri Kendall, Alison Fournier, Alicia Palmer, and Laurie Weber. Without you, DumBell Fitness would not have reached nearly as many military spouses. Not only do you inspire your recruits every week, but you inspire me and your fellow trainers by continually pushing your training to the next level. My favorite days are our trainer’s meetings where we’re able to share new moves with each other. I love that you are never complacent and are always steadfast in your dedication to your recruits.

Finally, I want to thank YOU, our recruits. The DumBell Fitness family has grown beyond my wildest dreams. Watching your success is almost overwhelming at times! I am so proud of the changes we are making in the military community, and your dedication and example are the main reasons those changes continue to happen. Together we have shared and built friendship, camaraderie, encouragement and strength. Deployments have passed more easily and the day-to-day challenges of military life have been handled with a renewed sense of accomplishment and control. Although we are now 300 recruits strong, I don’t want to stop here. I want to continue reaching military spouses, and spreading health and wellness to them. I’m so happy that you’re sharing this journey with me.

I thank you for believing in the DumBell Fitness Boot Camp. We would not have celebrated a three month anniversary, let alone a three year anniversary, without you. I am humbled and astonished by your strengths everyday. It’s been a pleasure and a privilege to live out my passion and pass it along to you.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you! 


1 comment:

  1. I was inspired and witness a beautiful change within a great friend of mine..Vanesa Lopez...the amazing health and wellness transformation..led me to believe you were The Real Deal...as she shared with many her life changing journey..it convicted me and many others...of our careless ways..our many excuses..why we neglected our health..neglected life.Your program has given me a base strong foundation..that has carried myself through the many journeys that I have encountered throughout my life.Just knowing that anything is possible..life is possible..that I now apply everyday.So that will always be the greatest gift that a true friend can give to another.So I would like to thank you and Vanessa for allowing me to accept the gift of health..good health.I may still be encountering many challenging journeys..but I know in my heart ..I have witnessed many miracles..many changes..of these strong women..and that I will treasure for the rest of my life.Mahalo nui loa ...always, Ticker

    ReplyDelete